justagirl's ramblings.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

DIVORCES, CANCER AND RELATIONSHIPS

yupz. my pet topic. relationships and more relationships. but back to the agenda.
it was mighty a gloomy sunday morning as i headed down to the familiar white walls and antibiotics stench of the hospital ward at NUH today with my dad and sister. We went to see my uncle, who's suffering from lung cancer. The poor old man aged so much...and yes... this may sound like some anti-smoking advertisement but ya... smoking does kill. it's sad to see that he's just waiting to die as he holds the bible and rosary closely by his side. yet his humanly side shows when he craves for unhealthy drinks like coke, orange juice and so forth to quench his thirst. perhaps his thirst to live.

I felt alienated by this encounter, rather disconnected and detached. I was never close to him yet as my dad stood by him, there was this odd sense of silence as they had nothing to say.

i sometimes wonder if one day, the state of my relationship with my sisters would reach to that state. hopefully not. but then it got me thinking on a lot of things.

as much as my uncle was a misfit in the family, he had been a loving husband, and statistically, his marriage is successful given that he and his wife are still loving...when my dad's other siblings have divorced with their spouses.

come to think of it... relationships are the worst investments one can ever have, because it's based on luck, chance, fate and destiny.

1) you can love a person who doesn't deserve your love

2) you can also dislike a person who really loves you

3) it's hard to differentiate between passionate love and everlasting love.

whatever it is. when my uncle's wife asked me two pertinent questions, can i cook and do i have a boyfriend.

so...my purpose in life is to cook and be a maid to a guy? hmmm perhaps not.

in bohemian style, i just told her off the cuff that money is my boyfriend for now.

for at least money is tangible and useful.

ah well... just plain old cynical once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home