justagirl's ramblings.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Self Love

if year 2005 taught me that i just got to learn to be patient while year 2006 taught me to take things easy and enjoy the moments. year 2007 has got to be the one where i learn to love myself properly.

Self love is something not well preached in the circles of Asian culture because we're always expected to place other people's needs before our own. to do otherwise will be interpreted as being selfish, individualistic and maybe simply a rebel in society.

i've always believed in taking care of other people's needs...but over the years i realised that maybe before i can take care of people, i just need to take care of myself first.

it's been a hard year where the stress and disappointments in my life has taken a toll on my health and emotional well-being.

many a times i wonder, what have i done to deserve this.

now i think i have done a lot to deserve this.

first, i didn't love myself enough to shun away individuals who were simply out to make use of me.

second, i didn't love myself enough to say ok that's it folks, i can't do more, i'm tired.

i just soldier on.

doing a google search on the definition of self love brought me to this website.

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Barrett1.html

which says "When we can be kind and forgiving in this way to ourselves we are better able to be that with others. Unconditional and forgiving self-love fosters unconditional and forgiving love of others."

so when was the last time you gave yourself a treat or a pat on the back when others around you have failed to do so?

i've spent too much time seeking validation from those around me...maybe it's time for me to seek validation from within.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home